Sunday, December 04, 2011

Xmas from the Kays - 2011

Happy Christma-Hanu-Rama-Ka-Dona-Kwanzaa!

It has been an interesting year to say the least and for the last 6 months Josie has been pestering me on the theme of this year’s Xmas card. Her instructions were simple: no politics, as one day we would want to recall all of our efforts over the years without regrets as I shuffle my walker down the streets. Yes only good thoughts to occupy our brains, no wall of foreboding to cross our street. I also had to agree to no editorializing on the traditions and origins of Christmas even thoughthe reason for the season” is a relatively new (200 year old) concept in the history of our culture with Christmas having been a time when the starving working class would occupy the streets of the wealthy minority and demand food and payment to compensate for their work (we would call these people hooligans over time and they are our precursors to modern day charolers). “We won’t go until we get some!”

With these orders I find myself confused on what we would deem to celebrate this year (well that, plus, the toll that the attack by my right side of my brain on that left the left side of my body confused and disorganized and learning how to survive all over again: forward!) With our society divided by economic and political rife: how do we turn this holiday from a cause de celebre to a cause célèbre?

My mother in law is always asking us that saccharin question “What are you thankful for this year?” With the hardships and losses of family and friends, well needless to say I often get tongue-tied when trying to come up with the great response but this year I am truly thankful that my nephew Kenny made it home from the war. And this then is the conflagration of these holiday events: despite the politics, the religion, the rhetoric we celebrate the home coming whether it is thousands of miles or right around the corner – we celebrate each other for good or for worse. So this year let loose with the hooligans, juggle the political correctness and embrace the outright confusion. John is experimenting with his own blend of hops on his road to becoming a brewmaster, Pat… still owes me money.., Ian is continuing his education and finding life fulfilling yet difficult and Josie started a new job working for what she used to call the “darkside.” She works from home now and still complains everyday about the commute.

As traditions go Josie says it just ain’t Christmas until we hear John Prine sing…

remembering the children who have none
Happy Xmas

Khristian ‘11

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home